What is a Disability-Friendly College in CT?
By law, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act protects students with disabilities in higher educational settings. Both acts assist disabled students fully integrating into colleges by ensuring their academic and social success through self-advocating accommodations.
What qualifies as a disability?
According to the ADA, a disability is a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. Disabilities can limit opportunities in the community due to physical, social, attitudinal, and cultural barriers. A person with disabilities may have physical, sensory, psychological, developmental, learning, neurological, or other impairments.
What are the steps a student should take to self-advocate?
- If you choose to do so, self-report your disability to the proper channel.
- Professionals will observe or review your disability documentation.
- Pending the results of your disability review, accommodations may or may not be granted.
What counts as an accommodation?
Accommodations include any modification or adjustment to a course, program, job, activity or facility to ensure your educational and social experience is on par with that of your peers. This includes (but is not limited to):
- Classroom note takers
- Assistive technologies
- Alternate format textbooks
- Sign language interpreters
- And testing accommodations
- For example: breaks, extended test time, a dedicated quiet room, or a testing writer/ reader
For more information, please visit our AccessAbility Services page.
We're ready when you are.
- Enrollment is hassle-free, and it's easy to get started.
- Financial aid is available, and we're still accepting applications.
- You will find comprehensive support services that will get you through college and into a great career.
- We are veteran-friendly, and we understand and respect the needs of veteran students.
- If you want to transfer in credits, we can typically review your transcripts of prior learning in less than one business day.
Contact us today!
Goodwin University will never sell your personal information to a third party. By submitting your contact information, you give permission to Goodwin University to contact you by phone, email, mail, and text message.