English as a Second Language (ESL) Program
The goal of the English as a Second Language (ESL) certificate program is to enhance the English-language proficiency for non-native speakers of English. Instruction is focused on reading, writing, speaking, and grammatical accuracy of English as applied in personal, vocational, or academic contexts.
To determine placement, all prospective students (a) take a faculty-designed grammar test, (b) complete the Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System (CASAS) pre-test, and (c) participate in a personal interview. The ESL courses are sequenced and delivered in four levels, consisting of one course each. Students who enter the program at Level 2, 3, or 4 will receive Advanced Placement credit for the lower level courses. The 24 institutional credits received for the ESL program cannot be applied or transferred to any degree program at Goodwin College.
Benefits of our ESL program include:
- Diverse student population
- Experienced faculty
- Financial aid opportunities
- Flexible day, evening, or online ESL classes are available
- Free tutoring opportunities
- Small class sizes
Class Location and Schedule Options:
ESL classes start three times per year. We offer day, evening, or online ESL classes.
|Day||7½-week (module) schedule (International Students must enroll in this full-time option)|
|Evening||15-week (semester) schedule|
|Module 1||levels 1 and 3|
|Module 2||levels 2 and 4|
- Goodwin University is conveniently located on bus lines 95 and 87
- Local buses connect to CTfastrak service
- Bus fare is $1.75 (only exact change accepted)
Make an appointment with an admissions officer to get started! Walk-ins welcome.
One Riverside Drive, East Hartford, CT
GPS should be set to: 211 Riverside Drive (directions)
Free tutoring for enrolled ESL students
ESL students interested in extra conversation, pronunciation, and speaking practice can sign up for free one-hour workshops on Mondays from 2-3 p.m.
Enrolled ESL students can contact Will Toftness with any questions: WToftness@goodwin.edu
We're ready when you are.
- Enrollment is hassle-free, and it's easy to get started.
- Financial aid is available, and we're still accepting applications.
- You will find comprehensive support services that will get you through college and into a great career.
- We are veteran-friendly, and we understand and respect the needs of veteran students.
- If you want to transfer in credits, we can typically review your transcripts of prior learning in less than one business day.
Contact Us Today!
Goodwin University will never sell your personal information to a third party. By submitting your contact information, you give permission to Goodwin University to contact you by phone, email, mail, and text message.
The 24 institutional credits received for the esl program cannot be applied or transferred to any degree program at Goodwin University.