What Is Mechatronics?
The word “mechatronics” is a compound of the terms “mechanical” and “electronics.” Mechatronics is a multidisciplinary field of the advanced manufacturing industry.
Initially centered on mechanical and electrical engineering systems, the interdisciplinary branch has broadened over time as technology advanced. Currently, the field also includes computer science, product engineering, robotics, telecommunications, and more.
A typical mechatronic system picks up activity data and signals from the environment through microcomputers and sensors. The mechatronic system then processes the information and generates an output signal — transforming the signals into actions.
The field of mechatronics aims to produce a design solution to make more intelligent and streamlined system processes for difficult or time-consuming tasks.
What Do Mechatronic Engineers Do?
Typically creative problem-solvers, mechatronics majors study courses like principles in manufacturing, Computer-Aided Design (CAD), basic electric, industrial robots, and motor control.
Once in the field, mechatronic engineers design and maintain machinery with electronic and computer-controlled systems.
What Industries Use Mechatronics?
Any enterprise that innovates and makes lives more manageable uses mechatronics. Industry sectors that use mechatronics include:
- Appliance design and repair
- Artificial intelligence
- Drone design
- Food processing (bottling and packaging plants)
- Medical laboratories
- Space exploration
- Transportation (anti-lock braking and digitally controlled engines), and more.
Are you interested in learning more about the field of mechatronics? Check out our certificate in Mechatronics!
We’re Ready When You Are.
- Enrollment is hassle-free, and it’s easy to get started.
- Financial aid is available, and we’re still accepting applications.
- You will find comprehensive support services that will get you through college and into a great career.
- We are veteran-friendly, and we understand and respect the needs of veteran students.
- If you want to transfer in credits, we can typically review your transcripts of prior learning in less than one business day.
Contact Us Today!
Goodwin University will never sell your personal information to a third party. By submitting your contact information, you give permission to Goodwin University to contact you by phone, email, mail, and text message.