What is a Dependent Student?
According to the Office of Federal Student Aid, a student is considered dependent when they are presumed to have financial support from their parents or guardians. While parents and guardians are not required to pay for their child's education, their income and financial status are both considered in order to determine how much financial student aid a dependent student is awarded.
How Do I Know if I am a Dependent Student?
There are specific questions listed on the FAFSA form that help determine whether you are a dependent or independent student. Based on your answers to these questions, FAFSA will inform you of your dependency status and adjust your form according to your status.
Am I a Dependent Student if I Don't Live with My Parents?
Financial support can come in many different forms. If you don't live with your parents, you may still be considered a dependent student. When you are filling out your FAFSA form, there is a section that allows you to select 'special circumstances.' If you are in a unique situation, you may select this answer and reach out to your college's financial aid office to discuss your next steps.
Financial Aid at Goodwin University
Whether you are a dependent or independent student, Goodwin University offers financial aid options that make it easy to know the costs of college before classes even begin.
Learn more about financial aid at Goodwin University today!
We’re ready when you are
- Enrollment is hassle-free, and it’s easy to get started.
- Financial aid is available, and we’re still accepting applications.
- You will find comprehensive support services that will get you through college and into a great career.
- We are veteran-friendly, and we understand and respect the needs of veteran students.
- If you want to transfer in credits, we can typically review your transcripts of prior learning in less than one business day.
Contact us today!
Goodwin University will never sell your personal information to a third party. By submitting your contact information, you give permission to Goodwin University to contact you by phone, email, mail, and text message.