Associate Degree in Vision Care Technology
Optician Program Outcomes
Upon successful completion of all Vision Care Technology program requirements, graduates will:
- Be qualified as a candidate for various certification and licensure examinations, i.e. ABO American Board of Opticianry, NCLE National Contact Lens Examination, and eventual eligibility to sit for the Connecticut State Board Practical Examination and Jurisprudence Examination.
- Deliver the highest technical and ethical standard of care as a healthcare practitioner in the field of opticianry.
- Demonstrate the ability to use optical instruments, equipment, materials, procedures and techniques to industry standards in the design, fitting and dispensing of contact lenses.
- Demonstrate the ability to use optical instruments and tools, materials, procedures and techniques to industry standards in the fitting, fabrication and dispensing of eyewear.
- Demonstrate the skills, knowledge and confidence to deliver competent patient care as evidenced by successful completion of a 150-hour clinical field experience with a diverse and varied patient population.
- Value patient confidentiality and patient rights according to Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)