Associate Degree in Vision Care Technology
Mission, Goals, and Learning Objectives
The mission of Goodwin’s Vision Care Technology Program is to fully equip our students with the skills and knowledge to become licensed opticians. Students will be encouraged to take an active role in a serving capacity within the community they work or reside.
The Vision Care Technology Program goal is to graduate students who are prepared to sit for and to successfully complete the American Board of Opticianry Examination (ABO), National Contact Lens Examination (NCLE), and the state licensing examination.
The Vision Care Technology Program will provide an environment where students have a sense of respect for self, others (patients and colleagues) and the environment. Students will take part in helping eliminate hazardous waste and to reduce non-hazardous waste to the minimum levels economically and technically practical, and to be in full-compliance with all federal and state environmental regulations in our clinical laboratory setting.
Provide coursework where students can take an active role in serving the community in which they work or reside.
The objectives of the program are to prepare graduates to meet the following outcomes:
- Practice within the ethical, legal and regulatory framework of opticianry.
- Utilize critical thinking to assess patient needs.
- Utilize professional communication skills when interacting with patients and colleagues to achieve positive outc omes.
- Plan and implement patient care that is accurate and safe in diverse health care delivery settings.
- Perform eyewear and contact lens dispensing skills competently.
- Serve as a positive role model for the eyecare profession within health care settings and the community at large.
- Utilize a process of self-evaluation that fosters personal and professional growth and contributes to life-long learning.
- Demonstrate proficiency as an eyecare professional, as described by the American Board of Opticianry (ABO), National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE), and the state licensing board.