Certificate in Histologic Science
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, graduates will be able to:
- Receive and accession tissue specimens.
- Prepare tissue specimens for microscopic examinations, including all routine procedures.
- Assist with gross examination and frozen section procedures in histopathology.
- Identify tissue structures and their staining characteristics.
- Perform preventive and corrective maintenance of equipment and instruments or refer to appropriate sources for repairs.
- Recognize factors that affect procedures and results, and take appropriate action within predetermined limits when corrections are indicated.
- Perform and monitor quality control within predetermined limits.
- Demonstrate professional conduct and interpersonal communication skills with patients, laboratory personnel, other health care professionals, and with the public.
- Exercise principles of leadership, management, safety, and supervision.
- Recognize the responsibilities of other laboratory and healthcare professionals and interact with them with respect for their jobs and patient care.
- Recognize and act upon individual needs for continuing education as a function of growth and maintenance of professional competence.