What is the OTR exam?
The OTR exam is the registered occupational therapist exam. The OTR exam measures the entry-level competence of students who possess the standard level of skills required for certification.
The OTR exam is developed and administered by NBCOT, the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy. As an assurance for potential employers, NBCOT certifies occupational therapists' character and competency to protect the profession's integrity.
Who is eligible?
Those who wish to take the OTR exam must complete an entry-level occupational therapy degree from an accredited occupational therapy program.
OTR certification is required for licensure in all 50 states in the United States of America.
OTR exam overview
The OTR exam consists of 170 four-and-three-option single response multiple-choice items and three clinical simulation tests (CST).
The three clinical simulation tests contain an opening scenario, a series of four action-oriented responses, and "yes or no" boxes to check off if any of the four actions should follow the opening scene.
- 25% of the OTR exam is based on evaluating, assessing, and acquiring information regarding the occupational therapy process.
- 23% of the OTR exam is based on analysis and interpretation, formulating conclusions regarding client needs.
- 37% of the OTR exam is based on intervention management of client-centered plans
- 15% of the OTR exam is based on competency and practice management, providing quality care guided by evidence and regulatory compliance.
For more information on the OTR exam, visit the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy.
Interested in learning more?
Check out our Occupational Therapy Assistant program!
We're ready when you are.
- Enrollment is hassle-free, and it's easy to get started.
- Financial aid is available, and we're still accepting applications.
- You will find comprehensive support services that will get you through college and into a great career.
- We are veteran-friendly, and we understand and respect the needs of veteran students.
- If you want to transfer in credits, we can typically review your transcripts of prior learning in less than one business day.
Contact us today!
Goodwin University will never sell your personal information to a third party. By submitting your contact information, you give permission to Goodwin University to contact you by phone, email, mail, and text message.