Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (COTA) Exam
What is the NBCOT-COTA exam?
The Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (COTA) exam tests the competency of entry-level occupational therapists interested in working alongside a Registered Occupational Therapist (OTR). The COTA exam is administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT).
Individuals who pass the COTA exam are able to add “certified” to their title, which may lead to increased job opportunities. Occupational therapy certification granted from the COTA exam will also prepare individual to pursue a master’s degree in Occupational Therapy or to sit for the Registered Occupational Therapist (OTR) exam.
Who is eligible?
Individuals with an associate degree in Occupational Therapy from an accredited program are eligible to sit for the COTA exam.
NBCOT-COTA exam overview
The COTA exam consists of three main sections:
- Assist the OTR to acquire information regarding factors that influence occupational performance throughout the occupational therapy process
- Implement interventions in accordance with the intervention plan and under the supervision of the OTR to support client participation in areas of occupation throughout the occupational therapy process
- Uphold professional standards and responsibilities to promote quality in practice
COTA exams take place at Prometric Testing Centers and consist of 200 multiple-choice questions administered in a computer format. Candidates have 4 hours to complete the exam.
For more information on the NBCOT-COTA exam, please visit the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy.
Learn more about our Occupational Therapy Assistant program!
We’re ready when you are.
- Enrollment is hassle-free, and it’s easy to get started.
- Financial aid is available, and we’re still accepting applications.
- You will find comprehensive support services that will get you through college and into a great career.
- We are veteran-friendly, and we understand and respect the needs of veteran students.
- If you want to transfer in credits, we can typically review your transcripts of prior learning in less than one business day.
Contact us today!
Goodwin University will never sell your personal information to a third party. By submitting your contact information, you give permission to Goodwin University to contact you by phone, email, mail, and text message.