Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) Examination
What is the CMA exam?
The Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) examination is administered by the Certifying Board (CB) of the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA). A CMA credential must be recertified every 60 months through continuing education or re-examination.
The CMA Exam certifies and awards a credential to medical assistants who pass the CMA (AAMA) Certification/Recertification Examination. A CMA credential may lead to better job prospects and higher salaries in the field of medical assisting.
Who is eligible?Eligibility is determined through three categories:
- Completing student or recent graduate of a CAAHEP or ABHES accredited medical assisting program
- Nonrecent graduate of a CAAHEP or ABHES accredited medical assisting program (a nonrecent graduate is a candidate who applies to take the exam 12 months after graduation)
- CMA (AAMA) recertificant (must have previously passed the CMA (AAMA) Certification Exam and is applying to recertify the CMA (AAMA) credential)
CMA exam overview
The exam consists 200 multiple-choice questions administered in four 40-minute segments.
Topics covered in the CMA exam include:
- Administrative (medical reception, scheduling, finances)
- Clinical (anatomy, physiology, patient intake)
- General (psychology, communication, professionalism)
For more information on the CMA exam, please visit the American Association of Medical Assistants.
We're ready when you are.
- Enrollment is hassle-free.
- We’re still accepting financial aid applications.
- We’ll review your transcripts of prior learning (usually in less than one business day).
Contact Us Today!
Goodwin College will never sell your personal information to a third party. By submitting your contact information, you give permission to Goodwin College to contact you by phone, email, mail, and text message.