What Is an AAMA Certification?
An AAMA Certification is issued by the American Association of Medical Assistants. It is earned by individuals who have completed (or will soon complete) a CAAHEP or ABHES-accredited medical assisting program. The AAMA Certification Exam is sometimes called the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) Exam.
Who Can Take the AAMA Certification Exam?
The examination can be taken by:
- Students who are within 30 days of completing a CAAHEP or ABHES-accredited program
- Students who have graduated from a CAAHEP or ABHES-accredited program within the past 12 months
- Students who studied with a non-accredited program that earned CAAHEP or ABHES-accreditation during their enrollment period
- Students who were enrolled in a program that became CAAHEP or ABHES-accredited within 36 months of their graduation
- CMAs wishing to renew their credentials
Is the AAMA Assessment Free?
It is free to submit a testing application. However, once your eligibility has been confirmed, you will need to pay a registration fee. The fees range from $125-$250.
How Do I Take the Assessment?
To take the exam, you must apply with the AAMA. You must also provide documentation proving that they have met these criteria. Once your application is validated and the fees have been processed, you can register for the test. You are given a 90-day window to take the assessment. If the 90-day window passes, you must reapply.
What Skills Are Assessed on the Exam?
The test is divided into four 40-minute segments. During these segments, you must answer 400 multiple-choice questions. The scoring scale ranges from 200-800. The minimum score required to pass the exam is 405. Approximately 62% of applicants pass per testing session.
The exam assesses your skills in three areas, including medical ethics, clinical skills, and administrative skills.
How Long Is an AAMA Credential Valid?
An AAMA credential is valid for 60 months (5 years).
Why Become AAMA Certified?
AAMA Certification is a valuable investment. The demand for CMAs is growing rapidly due to several factors, including new innovations in medical technology, a growing population, and increasing standards for healthcare.
Goodwin University offers a certificate program in Medical Assisting, which can be a pathway to AAMA certification. To learn more about Goodwin's certificate programs, contact us today!
We’re Ready When You Are.
- Enrollment is hassle-free, and it’s easy to get started.
- Financial aid is available, and we’re still accepting applications.
- You will find comprehensive support services that will get you through college and into a great career.
- We are veteran-friendly, and we understand and respect the needs of veteran students.
- If you want to transfer in credits, we can typically review your transcripts of prior learning in less than one business day.
Contact Us Today!
Goodwin University will never sell your personal information to a third party. By submitting your contact information, you give permission to Goodwin University to contact you by phone, email, mail, and text message.
- ApplicationApply Now