Human services is a field that combines several academic disciplines to meet one common goal: a commitment to improving the quality of life of specific populations. By applying academic rigor to everyday situations, human service workers help those in underserved populations, including, but not limited to: impoverished populaces, the elderly, disabled, those with intellectual developmental disabilities (IDD), survivors of domestic violence and human trafficking, as well as those who are afflicted with substance abuse and mental health issues. Human service professionals ensure the quality of services rendered and also help to improve access and accountability among professionals and agencies alike.
What Do Human Service Workers Do?
Human service workers assess situations, perform crisis interventions, find community resources, advocate, as well as act as liaisons between other agencies on behalf of their clients. Human service workers may work in hospitals, community agencies, group homes, for departments of criminal justice, adoption agencies, senior centers, and much more.
Who Do Human Service Professionals Work With?
Human service professionals have the flexibility of working with a diverse range of people. A few examples of human service job titles can be found below.
- Child welfare specialist/ advocate
- Veteran case worker
- Community outreach worker
- Disaster relief worker
- Family services associate
- Elder abuse advocate
- Probation officer
- Social worker assistant
- Substance abuse counselor
Want to know more about how you can help humans in need? Check out our Human Services degree programs today.
We’re Ready When You Are.
- Enrollment is hassle-free, and it’s easy to get started.
- Financial aid is available, and we’re still accepting applications.
- You will find comprehensive support services that will get you through college and into a great career.
- We are veteran-friendly, and we understand and respect the needs of veteran students.
- If you want to transfer in credits, we can typically review your transcripts of prior learning in less than one business day.
Contact Us Today!
Goodwin University will never sell your personal information to a third party. By submitting your contact information, you give permission to Goodwin University to contact you by phone, email, mail, and text message.