Respiratory Care Requirements
Requirements for Goodwin's Associate Degree in Respiratory Care
The following are the admission requirements for students applying to the Respiratory Care program. Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee admission into the program due to the limited number of places available. Admission is based upon completion of the respiratory care prerequisites and other requirements. If courses are in progress, acceptance will be conditional upon submission of an official transcript immediately upon completion. All requirements must be completed before enrolling in RSP 112.
- Complete the application for admission into Goodwin College. Applicants to the Respiratory Care program must first meet the requirements for admission and be accepted into Goodwin College.
- Complete the Respiratory Care Program Application. This application must include an official high school transcript or General Equivalency Diploma and official college transcripts. A sign attestation that applicant possesses the ability to perform the tasks as stated in the Essential Functions of a Respiratory Therapist must be included.
- Earn a minimum GPA of 2.7 in the most recent course work. College GPA is based on a minimum of 12 completed credits.
- Complete the required College placement evaluations. Applicants must test into ENG 101. All remedial courses must be completed before entering the program.
- Complete the following prerequisite courses with a "C+" or better:
- Chemistry - four credit elective with lab
- MATH 125
- BIO 120 or BIO 121
- Biology - BIO 211 Anatomy & Physiology I, and BIO 212 Anatomy & Physiology II (Goodwin College) or equivalent completed within the last five years. (BIO 120 or BIO 121 (Goodwin College) or equivalent with a laboratory component is the prerequisite for BIO 211 (Note: Applicants meeting all other requirements can be admitted conditionally without completing BIO 212. However, this course must be successfully completed prior to starting the respiratory program)
- BIO 235
- Interview with the Program Director.
Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy & Physiology I & II, and Microbiology taken at other accredited colleges must be equivalent to Goodwin College courses to meet these admission requirements. Courses must have been completed with a "C+" or higher. Satisfactory scores on the CLEP are also acceptable in meeting these requirements.
Admitted students must submit a medical examination report by a physician which describes the student's physical and emotional health, two weeks prior to starting program. All required immunizations must be current before the start of the first clinical rotation and remain current throughout the program.