Transfer Students

Transferring Credits INTO Goodwin

All policies regarding the transferring and awarding of credit are detailed in the University Catalog. The information below is meant to provide a basic overview of those policies. If you have any questions please refer to the catalog or contact the Transfer Counselor.

Note: Goodwin University partners with the New England Board of Higher Education on the New England Independent College Transfer Guarantee, which is designed to ensure acceptance at a four-year independent institution for students graduating from a community college with an associate degree and meeting eligibility criteria under the Guarantee.

Evaluation of Credit Earned at Collegiate Institutions
Students who have completed course work at other accredited, collegiate, degree-granting institutions should request an official transcript from all The Universitys they attended and have the transcript(s) sent to Goodwin University. Students are strongly encouraged to have all official transcripts sent to Goodwin University by the end of their first semester.

Students with transcripts from institutions outside the United States should visit the International Transfer Students webpage to be sure all requirements are met.

Upon receipt of the official transcript(s), the Transfer Coordinator will transfer credit in that

  1. reflects appropriate levels of academic quality
  2. was taken at accredited, collegiate, degree-granting institutions
  3. has a recorded student grade of "C" or higher, (the student must consult program requirements to see if a higher grade is needed for certain courses), and
  4. is from coursework which is directly applicable to the Goodwin University Curriculum

If these criteria are met, then the credit will be brought into Goodwin and will appear on the student's transcript after successful completion of 12 credits.

The Transfer Coordinator consults with faculty to determine equivalency based on course content. All transfer courses that are not equivalent in content to Goodwin courses are transferred in as elective credits.

Goodwin University only transfers in credits earned at other institutions – no grades are transferred in. As a result the courses will appear with the grade of 'TR' for each transferred course and they will not affect the student's Goodwin GPA.

Transfer evaluations are completed only for students who are enrolled in a degree or certificate program. Please note that students may apply and be accepted to Goodwin University in any semester of the academic year.

Experiential Learning

Evaluation of Credit Earned at Non-Collegiate Organizations
Students who complete courses sponsored by employers, government agencies, labor unions, professional associations, and career schools may be eligible for experiential credit. The award of credit is on a course-by-course basis based on:

  • Recommendations of the American Council on Education's (ACE) and Charter Oak State College Connecticut Credit Assessment Program (COSC-CCAP)
  • Evidence that the learning relates directly to what is learned in courses that are part of the Goodwin University curriculum.
  • Sufficient document that the learning is equivalent to college-level instruction.

Students must earn a grade of "C" or higher, and the credit must apply to their degree plan. This type of evaluation and award is coordinated and approved by the respective Department Chair or Program Director and Transfer Counselor. Goodwin University has completed a number of comprehensive program evaluations offered by non-collegiate, post-secondary institutions. Contact the Transfer Counselor for additional information.

The first step to claiming the credits you have earned is to request a transcript from your military service. Each service branch has their own system for recording your military education and experience credits.: Please contact the branch of the military in which you served for more information on how to order transcripts. Military personnel may request that an official transcript of their learning experiences be sent from their respective military service center to Goodwin University for the evaluation and possible award of collegiate credit.

Air Force

Army and National Guard:
Toll Free: 1-888-276-9472

Coast Guard
USCG Institute
Fax: (405) 954-7249

Marine Corps
JST Technology Operations Center
Fax: Comm: (850) 452-1909 DSN: 459-1909
Official Transcript Request Form (Special Mail)

Virtual Education Center (VEC)
Fax: Comm: (757) 492-5095 DSN: 492-5095
Toll Free: 1-877-838-1659
Official Transcript Request Form (Navy)

For the Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy, there is also a website through which transcripts can be ordered: the Joint Services Transcript sytem (JST).*

Credit awards are based on the recommendations put forth in the American Council on Education (ACE) Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services and completed by Goodwin University's Transfer Counselor in conjunction with the appropriate Department Chair or Program Director.

*Your web browser may deliver an error message the first time you attempt to access this website. Once you have confirmed this page as a trusted site, you will be able to access the online forms required for requesting your transcript.

Completing standardized exams in academic areas in which you already have knowledge and skills, may earn you credits that can be applied toward completion of your degree. Goodwin University follows the ACE recommendations for passing scores, but not all exams are accepted. Credits will be designated on the transcript as EC and will not be included in the calculation of a student's GPA. Please refer to the Credit-By-Exam page for additional information and a list of exam options.

Goodwin University Internal Exams »

The University grants credit for the successful completion of exams developed by Goodwin University faculty. Credit is awarded for passing exam scores – each exam designates a minimum passing score. An exam costs $100, unless it requires a practical, then the exam costs $150. No charge is assessed for the credits earned. Credits are designated on the transcript as EC Please refer to the Credit-By-Exam page for additional information and a list of exam options.

Portfolio Assessment »

Portfolio assessment is another method for earning credit for The University-level learning you have gained outside the classroom. A completed portfolio is submitted to a faculty committee for review and possible award of credit. A portfolio is either a paper or electronic book that describes and documents your learning; it provides evidence of what you know and can do that is related to the Goodwin University curriculum. The University keeps the portfolio indefinitely and award of credit is not guaranteed. If you are successful, the credits are designed as EC on your transcript. Please refer to the Portfolio Assessment page for additional information.

Licensures/Certifications »

Goodwin University awards students collegiate credit based upon proof of the completion of a handful of certification programs. Students must be able to provide proof that the certification is current to the Transfer Counselor before credit can be awarded. Click here to get a list of the certifications/licensures that Goodwin awards credit for.

StraighterLine Articulation Agreement »

Goodwin University has partnered with StraighterLine, an online provider of general education courses, to allow easy transfer of courses and a scholarship to students who meet the criteria outlined in the StraighterLine Articulation Agreement. Please note that Goodwin University will only accept StraighterLine courses that were taken prior to admission to The University. Courses taken after enrollment will not transfer and will not be applied toward a degree.

Students may satisfy up to 50% of their Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree with Experiential Credit, and up to 25% of any credential that is 30 credits or fewer.

Goodwin University requires that students complete 25% of their degree at Goodwin University. A student can transfer in up to 75% of the credits for their degree (45 credits for an Associate Degree or 90 credits for a Bachelors Degree). This refers only to credits transferred in from accredited, collegiate, degree-granting institutions.

A student may earn up to 50% of their degree (30 credits for an Associate Degree or 60 credits for a Bachelors Degree) through experiential credit which includes: credit-by-exam, military training, portfolio assessment, licensure/certification, and credit earned at non-accredited institutions.


Goodwin University collaborates with Transferology, a company that helps students see how their previous courses transfer into another school. Simply enter your courses to find equivalent courses at other schools. Matches are ranked by awarded credit, so you can eliminate the guesswork and maximize your transfer potential. You can even set up a campus visit with a click of a button! Visit the Goodwin University page at Transferology.