Certified Addiction Counselor Certificate Field Experience Requirements
By combining online CAC classes with an on-site internship experience, you’ll develop the necessary skills to work with individuals and families to counsel, educate, and support those affected by addiction — helping them find a stable road to recovery.
Step one: Meet with your internship coordinator
As a student in the CAC program, you must meet with the Human Services internship coordinator well in advance of the start of the semester. Your internship coordinator provides you with guidance and support — helping you meet all the requirements and expectations necessary to successfully complete your fieldwork experience.
Step two: Choose a fieldwork site suited to your professional goals
Please note that your field placement will not be assigned by the Human Services internship coordinator. Instead, you’ll identify your own fieldwork site. When choosing an internship site, consider your career goals — we recommend choosing a site that aligns with your goals, as this will best prepare you for professional success.
Choosing the right internship site
To prepare for a successful career as a CAC, you will need comprehensive internship experience. Your fieldwork site must provide active learning experiences within the following domains:
- Clinical evaluation
- Client, family, and community education
- Professional and ethical responsibility
- Service coordination
- Treatment planning
Step three: Identify a certified field experience supervisor
To successfully fulfill your fieldwork requirements, you must choose an internship site where your supervisor actively holds one of the following certifications:
- Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselor (AADC)
- Certified Addiction Counselor (CAC)
- Certified Clinical Supervisor (CCS)
- Certified Co-occurring Disorder Professional (CDP)
- Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC)
Your on-site field supervisor will help you determine how to meet the necessary domains to fulfill your internship requirement.
Step four: Sign and return your internship agreement to your Human Services coordinator
To be prepared for your internship, you must identify your fieldwork site at least two weeks before the semester starts. You must ensure that the internship agreement is signed and returned to the Human Services internship coordinator before the start of the semester.
We’re ready when you are
- Enrollment is hassle-free, and it’s easy to get started.
- Financial aid is available, and we’re still accepting applications.
- You will find comprehensive support services that will get you through college and into a great career.
- We are veteran-friendly, and we understand and respect the needs of veteran students.
- If you want to transfer in credits, we can typically review your transcripts of prior learning in less than one business day.
Contact us today!
Goodwin University will never sell your personal information to a third party. By submitting your contact information, you give permission to Goodwin University to contact you by phone, email, mail, and text message.