Addiction Counselor Certification Exams and Fees
Goodwin’s Certified Addiction Counselor certificate program is a pathway to certification with the Connecticut Certification Board (CCB). To earn your state certification and secure a long and rewarding career as a CAC, you’ll need to do the following.
Step one: Earn your Counselor in Training (CIT) certificate
To help you on the journey to CAC certification with the CCB, you’ll have the option to earn an intermediate credential — the Counselor in Training (CIT) certificate, which you can apply for after completing 100 hours of substance use education. The 100 hours must include 12 hours of ethics coursework. Although earning your CIT certificate isn’t required, it will help ease the process of earning your official state licensure.
Step two: Take the CAC exam
As a CIT-certified counselor, you can take the state CAC exam after completing 300 hours in the field. However, it’s important to note that although you may pass your CAC exam, the CCB won’t grant your certification until you’ve completed 6,000 hours (approximately 3 years) of work in the field. The required 6,000 hours includes 2,000 hours of counseling experience.
Already earned a college degree?
There are a few exceptions to the 6,000-hour field requirement mandated by the CCB. If you're already a college degree holder, you can fast-track your journey to CAC certification.
Step three: Achieve CAC certification
After taking the CAC exam, you will have three years to fulfill the required work hours and earn your certificate.
Please note that on your journey to CAC certification, there are application and testing fees that must be paid to the CCB.
- The CIT application fee is $100.
- The CAC application fee is $300.
- If you complete the CAC application while holding an active CIT, $100 is taken off the CAC application fee.
- The CAC exam fee is $300.
- The Certified Addiction Counselor certificate program is a pathway to certification with the Connecticut Certification Board (CCB).
We’re ready when you are
- Enrollment is hassle-free, and it’s easy to get started.
- Financial aid is available, and we’re still accepting applications.
- You will find comprehensive support services that will get you through college and into a great career.
- We are veteran-friendly, and we understand and respect the needs of veteran students.
- If you want to transfer in credits, we can typically review your transcripts of prior learning in less than one business day.
Contact us today!
Goodwin University will never sell your personal information to a third party. By submitting your contact information, you give permission to Goodwin University to contact you by phone, email, mail, and text message.