Certified Addiction Counselor (CAC) Curriculum
As a stand-alone certificate, the CAC certificate can be completed in three semesters. Our 18-credit program is comprised of six three-credit courses, including online classes, on-site internships, and a capstone experience.
The curriculum is designed to cover all the necessary educational requirements toward becoming eligible to take the CAC exam with the Connecticut Certification Board (CCB).
To earn your Goodwin CAC certificate, you must complete the six required classes in the following order. Each course must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.
|HSR 222||Foundations of Helping and Service Delivery||3|
|HSR 297||Human Services Internship I||3|
|HSR 235||Introduction to Substance Use and Co-Ocurring Disorders||3|
|HSR 298||Human Services Internship II||3|
|PSY 215||Abnormal Psychology||3|
|HSR 493||Human Services Capstone||3|
Required work experience
Beyond the 300 hours of fieldwork required to complete our CAC program, non-degree holding students must complete 6,000 hours (approximately three years working full-time) of substance abuse counseling work experience. This 6,000-hour requirement is necessary to earn CAC certification through the CCB. Note that fewer hours are required if you hold a college degree.
- Associate degree holders can earn CAC certification after completing 5,000 hours of substance abuse counseling work experience.
- Bachelor’s degree holders can earn CAC certification after completing 4,000 hours of substance abuse counseling work experience.
- Master’s degree holders can earn CAC certification after completing 3,000 hours of substance abuse counseling work experience.
View our courses offered by semester.
Course sections noted with an ‘H’ are delivered in a hybrid format (a combination of on-campus and online learning).
Course sections noted with an ‘O’ are delivered in an online format.
We’re Ready When You Are.
- Enrollment is hassle-free, and it’s easy to get started.
- Financial aid is available, and we’re still accepting applications.
- You will find comprehensive support services that will get you through college and into a great career.
- We are veteran-friendly, and we understand and respect the needs of veteran students.
- If you want to transfer in credits, we can typically review your transcripts of prior learning in less than one business day.
Contact Us Today!
Goodwin University will never sell your personal information to a third party. By submitting your contact information, you give permission to Goodwin University to contact you by phone, email, mail, and text message.