International Student Services

Vacation Semester

If you know that you will be taking a vacation semester, please inform the IPO as soon as you make your plans. You must inform the International Programs Office within the first 15 days of the semester that you are taking a summer vacation semester so we can verify you are eligible for a vacation semester and report it to the USCIS. The Travel Signature/Vacation Semester Form should be submitted to the International Programs Office as soon as you know your next semester plans.

Summer semester is not automatically a vacation semester. You must attend school full time for two consecutive semesters before you are eligible for a vacation semester. The only exception is if you entered the U.S. to attend Spring Semester as your first semester, then you may take the first Summer Semester as a vacation semester. You are required to return to school after your vacation semester.

Vacation for Students during Fall or Spring Semester

If you take a vacation semester during fall or spring semester and you will not be registered for any courses, you will need to apply to the Registrar’s Office for a leave of absence for that semester or you will lose your term activation and you will risk falling out of status. This must be approved by the Registrar’s Office and International Programs Office. This form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office on or before the last day of regular term classes for the semester the leave of absence is requested.