International Student Services

Travel Outside the United States

A travel signature is a required endorsement on page two of an I-20. The travel signature is valid for twelve months and allows continuing students to reenter the United States upon return from a trip abroad. A travel signature does not apply to students who take a leave of absence and reenter the U.S. with a brand new I-20. Please be advised you must provide IPO with a Travel Request Form each time you travel, even if your previously obtained travel signature is still valid. Use the Travel Request Form to apply for a travel signature at least two weeks before you plan to travel.

The best source for information is the USCIS (United States Customs and Immigration Services) web site. They will direct you to the ICE pages (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) since when you travel outside of the US, you will make contact with and must comply with all border and reentry requirements for your visa status.

For reentry to the U.S., the following documents are required:

  • The I-20 Form, endorsed for travel and signed by a Goodwin DSO in the International Programs Team. Make sure you get a new I-20 signature every six months or before travelling abroad.
  • A current passport valid for at least six months after the date of your reentry.
  • A valid, current visa. If your visa has expired, you will need to obtain a new one before reentering the U.S. Please contact the IPO for details.
  • Financial information showing proof of necessary funds to cover tuition and living expenses. You will likely be asked for this information at Customs and Border Patrol OR if you have to apply for a new visa while abroad.