International Student Services

The Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS)

On behalf of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), SEVP manages schools, nonimmigrant students in the F and M visa classifications and their dependents. The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) manages information on nonimmigrants whose primary reason for coming to the United States is to be students. Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is intended to track and monitor schools; exchange visitor programs; and F, M, and J nonimmigrants while they visit the United States and participate in the U.S. education system.

Status Options

Beyond the initial I-20 and maintaining your F-1 status, there are a multitude of issues and questions you may run into during your time as an international student at Goodwin University. This is when you can talk to the staff at the International Programs Office. They are available to you by making an appointment or a quick phone call. Our team are all Designated School Officials (DSO) and are here to help our international student population with this sometimes complex system.

Your DSO is an essential resource while you study in the United States. Your DSO must authorize or recommend many of the actions you may take while you are here. Without this authorization or recommendation, you could risk violation of the terms of your visa, which would result in losing your student status. Your DSO is your primary source for information on federal rules and regulations as well as advice on how to maintain student status. This knowledge will help you navigate your way through many academic and nonimmigrant issues.

Your DSO must keep your record in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) updated and accurate to truly reflect your participation in your program of study, and cannot do this without your help.

You must talk to your DSO if any of the following situations apply to you:

  • Changing your major, program, degree or educational level
  • Transferring to a new school
  • Taking annual vacation
  • Taking a leave of absence
  • Traveling outside of the United States
  • Moving to a new address
  • Changing your name
  • Working in the United States
  • Requesting a program extension
  • Having trouble maintaining status or need to take a reduced course load
  • Having a Terminated SEVIS record or other discrepancies on your SEVIS record
  • Wanting to participate in a study abroad program
  • Having trouble applying for a driver’s license
  • Having any other questions related to your program of study and time studying in the United States

For Goodwin University students to do any of these things lawfully, a DSO has to be informed.

Your DSO can explain any legal issues that might apply to your plans and can give you practical information that can make any of these changes easier. The International Programs Office and your DSO are great sources of information about immigration regulations, but also your school’s policies and procedures. We encourage you to take advantage of this valuable resource.