International Student Services

Driver’s License Information for International Students

There are many costs and requirements for international students to obtain a driver’s license and vehicle in the United States.

Please refer to the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles requirements.

If you are ineligible for a social security number, you will have to bring your “letter of denial” from the Social Security Administration Offices to the CT DMV.

In order to drive in Connecticut, you must have a Connecticut Driver’s license or one of the following:

  • valid out-of-state (United States) driver’s license
  • valid out-of-country driver’s license (from your home country) AND international driver’s permit (you must carry BOTH)

International Driver Permits

An International Driver Permit (IDP) is essentially an English translation of a foreign language driver’s license issued by a foreign country. These permits can only be obtained in the country which issued the actual license.

Students and Visitors to Connecticut

An IDP is not considered a valid license. It must accompany the valid foreign license. Connecticut permits a student or visitor to operate a motor vehicle in Connecticut for a period of up to one year with his or her foreign license. If the license is in a language other than English or Spanish, the license must be accompanied by an IDP which serves as an English translation of the foreign license.