Credit By Exam
Credit by Exam (CBE) Information
Goodwin College offers credit by exams for:
- BMM 140 - Principles in Manufacturing Mathematics
In order to successfully test out of the BMM 140 course, students need to be able to solve Mathematics for Machine Technology problems including fractions, decimals, ratios, proportions, algebra, plane geometry, trigonometry, and Cartesian Coordinates.
- CAP 110 - Computer Applications
In order to successfully test out of the CAP 110 course, students need to have advanced knowledge and skills in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel 2007 - 2013 and Blackboard as well as knowledge of computer components, terminology, and maintenance.
- MATH 125 - Mathematical Applications for the Health Sciences
In order to successfully test out of the MATH 125 course, students need to be able to solve drug dosage problems using both proportions and dimensional analysis.
- MATH 135 - Contemporary Mathematics
In order to successfully test out of the MATH 135 course, students need to be able to use formulas to solve a range of problems with percentages,interest, future value, geometry, graphing linear equations, and probability.
The registration process to a Credit by Exam (CBE) is quick and easy. In order to register you must follow the steps below:
1. Complete the online registration form.
- Your eligibility to take a credit by exam will be verified based on your status as an active student and not having previously completed the course.
- You will receive an e-mail confirming that you are registered for the credit by exam. This registration is valid for 30 days.
- CAP 110, MATH 125 or MATH 135: If you have not received your registration confirmation after one week, please contact Christine Thurston at 860.913.2132 or via e-mail at CThurston@goodwin.edu.
- BMM 140: If you have not received your registration confirmation after one week, please contact Anne Marie Andrews, Administrative Assistant for the Business, Management, and Advanced Manufacturing department at 860.913.2038 or AAndrews@goodwin.edu.
2. Schedule an exam date
- In order to take a credit by exam, you need to schedule a day and time to take the exam with the Academic Success Center. You can contact the Academic Success Center by calling 860.913.2090 or going to room 209 in the main building.
- You need to schedule an exam date and take the exam within 30 days of receipt of the e-mail registration confirmation.
- If you do not complete the exam within 30 days of the receipt of the e-mail registration confirmation then you will need to register for the CBE again.
3. Pay the $100 Credit by Exam fee.
- Payment must be made to the Business Office at Goodwin College.
- You must bring the e-mailed confirmation of the credit by exam registration with you when you pay for the exam.
- You must request and keep a receipt of payment to be admitted to the exam.
On the day you have scheduled to take your CBE, you need to:
- Report to the Academic Success Center at the time you have scheduled to take the exam.
- Bring a picture id (such as a Goodwin College school ID, driver's license, or state ID card), your receipt of payment from the Business Office, e-mailed registration confirmation, a calculator, and a pencil.
- If you do not have this documentation with you, for whatever reason, you will not be allowed to take the exam on the day it is scheduled, and you will be required to reschedule your exam date.
In order to receive three credits for the credit by exam you must pass the CBE with a 73% or higher. If you receive a grade of 72% or lower, you must register and successfully complete the course.
Please allow 10 business days for the exam to be processed. Notification of the results of the credit by exam will be sent via e-mail.
- Taking the CBE will give you experiential credit for a course at Goodwin College, the credits earned via CBE are not transferable to another institution.
- Only currently enrolled students may take this exam. Credit will NOT be awarded, even for a passing score, unless you are currently enrolled at the time the exam is taken. If you have any questions please contact, Allison Misky.