AccessAbility Services

Service Animals

Under ADA Title II and Title III, a service animal is defined as a dog individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability. Service animals can accompany people with disabilities in all areas where the public is allowed to go. A service animal must be under the control of its handler and must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless the individual's disability prevents using these devices or these devices interfere with the service animal's safe, effective performance of tasks. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls.

No other animals are considered service animals. Emotional support animals, that provide support for people with mental health disabilities are not considered service animals. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the individual's disability. The ADA does not cover service animals in training.

Examples of work or tasks may include, but are not limited to:

  • Assisting individuals who are blind or have low vision with navigation and other tasks;
  • Alerting individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing to the presence of people or sounds;
  • Providing non-violent protection or rescue work;
  • Pulling a wheelchair;
  • Assisting an individual during a seizure;
  • Alerting individuals to the presence of allergens;
  • Retrieving items such as medicine or the telephone;
  • Providing physical support and assistance with balance and stability to individuals with mobility disabilities;
  • Helping persons with psychiatric and neurological disabilities by preventing or interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors.

Registration process for a service animal

  1. Register online with the Office of AccessAbility Services by completing the registration form, along with a description of what work or tasks the animal has been trained to perform, and proof of up-to-date vaccinations as required by the state of CT, and email it to
  2. Once your information is received, OAS will contact you to set up a time to talk in person, over the phone, or via video chat.
  3. If you plan to live in Goodwin housing, an agreement will be signed by the student, OAS, and Residential Life if you are approved for a service animal, and students will discuss the details of their service animal agreement with Residential Life.