Filing a complaint in your state

Goodwin University is committed to providing the best academic experience through a robust curriculum, inclusive learning experience, and support services. The University would also like to ensure that all students are treated fairly and with respect, whether they are a Connecticut student or taking the Goodwin program online from another state.

To ensure transparency and disclosure to our students, we are in a strict compliance with federal and interstate regulations and agreements. The following page is dedicated to sharing information about grievances process, state authorizations, and professional licensure.

Filing a complaint at Goodwin University

Goodwin University treats its programs as a form of on-the-job training for its students. For that reason, any complaint or suggestion regarding a class should be discussed first with the instructor. If a student is unable to satisfactorily address the problem, (s)he should make an appointment with the appropriate Dean. After that, appeals may be made, in writing, to Goodwin University’s Appeals Board (GUAB). All appeals should be sent to the Chair of the Goodwin University Appeals Board. Decisions will be rendered in writing within two (2) weeks.

The GUAB will also hear appeals on financial aid and conduct issues after the student has sought a remedy through the appropriate channels. All appeals should be sent to the Chair of the Goodwin University Appeals Board. Decisions will be rendered in writing within two (2) weeks.

If you are still aggrieved after speaking to all of these people, you can file a complaint on the Connecticut Office of Higher Education website. Additionally, you may call or write the Connecticut Office of Higher Education at 450 Columbus Boulevard, Suite 707; Hartford, CT 06103-1841. The phone number is (860) 947-1800.

Since Goodwin University is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE), students wishing further clarification may direct concerns, in writing to: 3 Burlington Woods, STE 100; Burlington, MA 01803-4514. Their phone number is 781-425-7785. Our students are also free to visit their website for additional information regarding the NECHE complaint process.


Goodwin University is proud to be a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). This is an agreement between states, which allows an institution authorized in its home state to be authorized in all other states that are members of the agreement. In other words, it helps establish comparable national standards for online courses and programs. As a SARA-participating institution, Goodwin University is authorized to offer online courses and programs for students located in each state that participates in the agreement without having to get approval from each state individually.

Distance education students residing in a SARA state may appeal a complaint to their SARA Coordinator for review after exhausting the institution’s internal complaint process and the complaint process of the Connecticut Office of Higher Education.

The Connecticut Office of Higher Education will not review complaints regarding student grades or student code of conduct violations. For more information, visit the Connecticut SARA Coordinator website.

U.S. Department of Education

Like all accredited institutions, Goodwin University adheres to all federal regulations regarding academic process and procedures. One of them is the final regulations for accreditation and state authorization by the U.S. Department of Education. Part of this regulation expands the protection of students enrolled in programs leading to professional licenses. According to this federal rule, the University is required to disclose whether or not an academic program meets a different state’s educational requirements for licensure or certification.

Based on the above legislation, Goodwin University states the following: when you become a Goodwin University student, you are responsible for checking licensure requirements in your state of residence. These requirements and rules vary state by state. If you move to a new state, you are responsible for ensuring our program is approved in this new state.

Select a program below to view information on licensure boards in other states. Our prospective and current students should contact these state boards in order to determine of whether or not their program at Goodwin meets licensure and/or certificate requirements in different state(s).