Requests for Reconsideration
If you are concerned about an OAS decision or process related to your accommodations or services, you have the right to ask the OAS Coordinator to reconsider by submitting a Request for Reconsideration. This is an interactive process between the student and OAS to gather and evaluate additional relevant information related to your concern. Please note that a mere disagreement with an OAS decision is unlikely to result in a different decision.
For Requests for Reconsideration or navigating concerns with accommodations, you can expect an interactive review process, involving the student, the OAS Coordinator, and other relevant individuals (i.e., faculty, advisors, etc.). While your privacy is protected as much as possible, this is not always an anonymous process.
The outcome of the Request for Reconsideration will be communicated directly and in writing to students in a timely fashion by OAS. The length of time involved will depend on the complexity of the circumstances, as well as the number of parties involved.
OAS uses an interactive process when assessing and determining reasonable accommodations. A similar interactive process is used to evaluate a student’s Request for Reconsideration. A Request for Reconsideration allows any student registered with OAS to raise concerns related to their file review, accommodation decisions, or implementation processes.
Please note that mere disagreement with an OAS decision is unlikely to result in a different decision. Also, before submitting an appeal, students should give reasonable time and effort to make use of previously approved accommodations. The reconsideration process is typically focused on the processes involved in file review, outcomes, and implementation. Consideration is also given to the reason why a student believes the OAS decision was incorrect and is accompanied by new or more detailed information.
In order to support a timely review, students are encouraged to submit a Request for Reconsideration as soon as possible after the original decision. All requests will be reviewed when received. However, the total timeframe between the original decision and the resolution of the Request for Reconsideration may mean that a significant amount of a semester has elapsed before the matter is resolved.
- Complete the Request for Reconsideration Form, explaining the nature of your request and your concerns.
- If you feel that providing a written statement does not allow you to express yourself clearly and completely, you may contact the AccessAbility Services Coordinator. We will be glad to meet and talk through this information directly with you.
- Respond to AccessAbility Services request to schedule a meeting.
- Understand that there is a limit of one reconsideration per request without additional documentation provided.
- Review the complete student file and request statement.
- Arrange for a meeting with the student.
- Notify the student of the reconsideration outcome in writing.
- Make every attempt to complete the review within two weeks, or as expeditiously as possible.
What outcome can I expect?
While a Request for Reconsideration may or may not result in a change to the original decision, it is the responsibility of the AccessAbility Services Coordinator to provide a clear explanation for the reasoning behind any reconsideration outcome.
Additionally, it is the responsibility of AccessAbility Services to respond to the student’s request in a timely manner. The length of time involved will depend on the complexity of the circumstances, as well as the number of parties involved.