Public health professionals make an impact in our communities, and around the globe. The broad work these workers plays an important role in ensuring we all live in safe, healthy, and thriving environments. If you are in the field of public health, you understand the importance of investing in the training, the education, and the experience needed to serve us all to the best of your ability. You may also know, as with any health-related field, that this education must be continuous.
If you are looking to take your career (and impact) to the next level, pursuing a Master’s in Public Health (MPH) is an excellent next step forward. Of course, like most graduate programs, there are certain requirements to keep in mind as you apply to an MPH program. Colleges may differ in what is specifically required of their applicants, however, there are many similarities for Master’s in Public Health prerequisites across educational institutions.
To help you get started, here is a Master’s in Public Health prerequisite checklist, outlining the different requirements needed to apply and be admitted to an MPH program like Goodwin Colleges.
Degree and GPA Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree: Most colleges or universities require a bachelor’s degree in a public health related field as a basic Master’s in Public Health Prerequisite. Usually, this must have been acquired from an accredited institution.
- Good Academic Standing: Most colleges also look at the academic performance of your degree. They typically like to see that you maintained a GPA of at least a 3.0. Some programs, like Goodwin Colleges Master’s in Public Health Program, however, do offer conditional acceptance for applicants who have earned less than an average 3.0 GPA. Goodwin allows those applicants who have obtained relevant work or life experience to submit an essay describing why they would do well in the MPH program.
- GRE Scores: Some colleges require applicants to take the GREs to be considered for admittance. At Goodwin College, GRE scores are not required for admission. Colleges, like Goodwin, believe that additional testing is not necessary for admittance, especially for students who have proven their hard work ethic and commitment to their careers.
Application and Applicable Documents:
Next box to check: complete your application and submit the required documents. Generally, the application process is fairly simple and straightforward. Goodwin’s Master in Public Health applicants, for example, are required to complete an online graduate application for admission and pay a $50 application fee. If you are a Goodwin graduate, the application fee is waived.
In addition to the online application, applicants are required to provide:
- A professional resume
- An official or unofficial transcript validating completion of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college, with the required GPA
- Proof of immunizations against mumps, measles, rubella, and Varicella
Additional Application Requirements:
It’s not uncommon for colleges to ask applicants to meet additional, program-specific requirements beyond what their typical graduate program applicants are required. For example, at Goodwin College, other Master’s in Public Health prerequisites involve:
- Writing a 500-word personal letter of intent, detailing out why they want to pursue a Master’s in Public Health degree
- Two two letters of recommendation showcasing the student’s motivation to pursue an advanced degree, as well as their unique leadership qualities
Transfer of Collegiate Credit:
For those who have already taken graduate coursework and would like to transfer credits, the Master’s in Public Health prerequisites may be slightly different. Certain colleges allow graduate coursework to be transferred to an MPH program under certain circumstances, including that coursework has been completed with a minimum of a B- grade within the past decade, from an accredited university or college. Each college will have its own set of specific requirements, but at Goodwin College, a maximum of six graduate credits may be transferred towards their Master’s in Public Health Degree.
Still have questions about Master’s in Public Health prerequisites? Our graduate advisors at Goodwin College would be happy to help. Contact them today for more information. Call 800.889.3282, or visit us online at https://www.goodwin.edu/landingpages/mph to get started.
Goodwin University is a nonprofit institution of higher education and is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE), formerly known as the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). Goodwin University was founded in 1999, with the goal of serving a diverse student population with career-focused degree programs that lead to strong employment outcomes.