Hoffman Family Library Policies
The following are library policies for borrowing materials, faculty services, using the library facilities, code of conduct and more.
Your student, faculty or staff Goodwin College ID is your library card. Faculty or academic staff may authorize a currently enrolled student or staff member as a proxy to check out library materials in the faculty member's name. The individual faculty or academic staff member agrees to be responsible for returning or renewing materials on time and paying any replacement bills for books that are lost or damaged.
Loan periods and due dates vary depending on the type of material and class use. It is the borrower's responsibility to note the due dates for materials and to return or renew them by those dates. Please check the circulation policy posted in the library.
Returning Materials and Renewals
Return material to the circulation desk during library hours. Most Library materials are renewable. Materials recalled or on reserve are not renewable. Material may be renewed in person, by telephone; or email. You may not renew:
- any item that was not originally checked out on from our library
- items which are overdue to the point that they have blocked your borrowing privileges
- items that have been recalled by another patron
- items that have been billed for replacement
- items on reserve for class use
Recalls and Holds
Materials checked out to one borrower may be recalled by another borrower. Only card holders with borrowing privileges are entitled to place recalls. You may recall an item at the circulation desk. You must supply the title or call number of the item needed. You will be notified by e-mail when the item is available to be picked up. If an item you have checked out is recalled, you must return it by the new due date. When it is returned, the item will be put on hold. If more than one person has recalled it, these will be handled in the order the recalls were placed.
Overdue, Lost or Damaged Material
Library borrowers are responsible for returning or renewing items by their due date. When an item becomes overdue, borrowing privileges will be blocked until the item is returned. If an item is damaged or lost, borrowers are liable for charges incurred to repair or replace the item. A borrower may replace lost or damaged materials with copies acceptable to the lending library. Such arrangements should be made with the lending library before a replacement is purchased.
Responsibilities of Borrowers
Borrowers are responsible for library materials charged out to them until they are returned to the lending library. Borrowers are responsible for maintaining a current address on file with the Library Privileges Desk.
Borrowers who abuse Library borrowing privileges may have these privileges suspended. Examples of abuse of library borrowing privileges include repeatedly not returning materials on time, not paying replacement bills, not responding to recall notices, not returning library materials even after replacement bills have been issued, and mutilation or damage of library materials.
All library records relating to an individual patron and his/her use of the library and its resources are confidential. These records may be consulted and used by library staff in the course of carrying out library operations, but will not be disclosed to others except upon the request or consent of the library user, or pursuant to subpoena, court order or otherwise as required by law. Such disclosure may be made only by the Library Director in consultation with appropriate College authorities.
Hoffman Family Library offers the opportunity for students, faculty, and staff to check out and use laptop PC computers. Before checking out the laptops, please read and understand the library's policy and liability statement below. Patrons must understand that they must pay all actual repair or actual replacements costs should any harm, damage or loss of any nature whatsoever (including, but not limited to theft) of the laptop assigned to them.Potential Damage Fees:
Missing Battery: $200
Lost/Stolen PC Laptop: $1,200
Liquid Damage: Will result in the cost of the laptop itself as it is not covered under warranty.
Other Damages (LCD, Chassis, Keyboard): Based upon actual repair costs.
Cell Phone Policy
Talking on your cellphone is prohibited in the Hoffman Family Library. Failure to comply with requests will result in being asked to leave the library. Thank you for your cooperation.
Code of Conduct
The Hoffman Family Library wishes to maintain a safe and comfortable environment conducive to study and the use of information resources. Library users are expected show consideration for other users and for members of the Library staff.
All users are required to abide by the Library's borrowing and lending rules which have been designed to provide for the best service for all users.
The following activities are not allowed in the Library:
- Leaving personal belongings unattended inside the Library; using personal belongings to reserve space or equipment, preventing them from being used by other patrons
- Theft and/or misappropriation of Library or another user's property
- Vandalism; abuse or misuse of Library equipment or property
- Talking loudly, making noise, or engaging in other disruptive behavior; playing of audiovisual equipment that others can hear
- Talking on cell phones is not permitted in the library
- Interfering with another person's use of the Library; harassment, verbal abuse of other Library users
- Interfering with Library staff's performance of their duties; harassment, verbal abuse of staff members
- Refusing to leave the premises at Library closing time
- Refusing to discontinue use of equipment, such as computers, printers or copy machines, after closing announcements.
- Physical violence or the threat
- Failing to report and surrender any lost items or money found on Library premises to Library staff
Disciplinary action will be taken and students may be suspended or expelled permanently from using the library for violation of any of the above rules.
Filming and Photography in the Library
Filming and the photography of the library facilities, personnel or patrons must be arranged with the Library Director. Requests should include information regarding the desired date, location within the Library, type of equipment being used, etc. It is also requested that proper credit be given to the Library in the credits. If people are being filmed or photographed, the appropriate paperwork must be completed according to college policy.
The Library supports the instructional and research needs of Goodwin's students, faculty and staff by obtaining materials which are not available at its library. Please use this form to request an ILL.
Use of Group Study Rooms
The library has three group study rooms available for use by the Goodwin community. These rooms provide a place for students wishing to engage in collaborative and cooperative study in small groups. Each room is equipped with a white board. One room is available for viewing DVDs or videos. Study rooms may be reserved. Rooms are available for use on a first-come-first-serve basis by anyone in the library if no reservation is pending. Reserved rooms not occupied 10 minutes after reserved time will be considered forfeited. Rooms must be vacated at the end of the reserved time.
- All patrons using the study rooms must provide a photo ID to a library staff member at the circulation desk.
- Rooms may be reserved for a 2-hour block per day per group during library hours. If no other groups are scheduled, the reservation can be extended until a new group arrives.
- Reserve group study rooms are not intended for use by only one person. An individual using a reserve group study room may be required to vacate the room in favor of a group when asked to do so by the Library Staff. Carrels are available on the second floor for individual quiet study.
- Reservations can only be made by a student at the Circulation Desk for the same day use. No telephone or email reservations will be accepted.
- Any personal belongings left unattended will be removed and taken to the Circulation Desk to be claimed and the room must be made available to others.
- Patrons using the group study rooms are required to comply with our "Code of Conduct Policy"