How to Apply to an SEVP-Approved, F1-Visa School as an International Student

The United States is an incredible place to study. Not only is it a melting pot of different cultures, climates, and experiences, the nation is also highly-acclaimed for its educational institutions. Currently, more than 1,000,000 international students are studying at colleges and universities across the USA.

If you are hoping to study English in the United States, you are in the right place! Goodwin College is an accredited, SEVP-approved, F-1 visa language school located in Connecticut. We can help you through the entire application process, from obtaining your student visa and enrolling in our ESL program, to earning your college degree. Let’s start with the basics:

Requirements for Studying in the United States

To study in the United States, all international students are required to obtain a student visa. The U.S. government offers different types of visas, depending on your program of interest. Most students obtain an F-1 visa, enabling them to study at an accredited college or university or enroll in a full-time English language program. If you would like to study full-time, earn a college degree, and/or take English-as-a-Second-Language (ESL) courses in the United States, an F-1 visa is a must.

Before you can obtain your F-1 visa, though, you must first apply to an SEVP-certified school. SEVP stands for Student and Exchange Visitor Program. Only schools that are certified by this program are authorized to accept international students. That said, it is important to make sure the school you’re applying to is SEVP-approved. Then you can truly begin the college application process.

Applying to Goodwin College

If you would like to apply to Goodwin College’s ESL program, you can start the process right here online – simply fill out our application for admission. You will be asked to send official copies of your academic records (accompanied by certified translations and evaluations if necessary), documentation verifying sufficient financial support, and a copy of your passport. Details about the documentation requirements for F-1 visa students can be found by clicking here.

Once your application and supporting documents have been submitted, you can expect to hear from us within two to four weeks! And once you are admitted into our ESL program, you can place your deposit and take your next step in the study-abroad process.

If you would like to apply to one of the academic, international undergraduate programs at Goodwin College (such as Business Administration, Health Science, or Accounting), you will need to go through the same application process as domestic students, with the added requirement of English Language proficiency. The full list of admissions requirements for international students is available on this page.

Obtaining Your Student Visa From an F-1 Visa Language School

Under the United States’ immigration law, only SEVP-approved academic and language institutions are certified to issue the Form I-20, which you will need to apply for an F-1 student visa.

Once you are accepted at an accredited, SEVP-approved school, you will be sent this I-20 form. You can expect to receive a Form I-20 from every college that accepts you. Remember, it is important that you only use the Form I-20 from the school you plan to attend. If you have been accepted by Goodwin and would like to move forward with our program, please use the Goodwin-issued I-20 form when applying for your visa. This is your certificate of eligibility for non-immigrant, student status and entry into our ESL program.

This I-20 form is also your ticket to an F-1 student visa. After receiving your Form I-20 and paying the necessary fee, you can apply for your visa at a designated U.S. embassy or consulate in your county.

F-1 Visa Qualifications

In order to qualify for your F-1 student visa, you must be enrolled at a college full-time (unless there are documented circumstances stating otherwise). Full-time at a college typically means you are enrolled in at least 12-credit hours per semester. A full-time ESL program usually entails at least 18 hours of instruction per week, though requirements vary school to school. As an F-1 student at Goodwin College, you must be enrolled in the full course load for each semester to maintain full-time student status.

About Goodwin’s ESL Program for International Students

Goodwin College is a small, private, F1-visa language school located on the Connecticut River in beautiful New England. Here, we take pride in the diversity of our student body. We also take pride in our career-focused degree programs. The courses at Goodwin College are driven by employable skills and hands-on experience, and taught by industry leaders. The degrees earned here are known to translate into strong job-placement and success in a variety of industry settings across the globe.

If you are interested in enhancing your proficiency in the English language, our stand-alone ESL program is a great place to start. This program is dedicated to individuals who are trained, passionate, and ready to take the next steps in their careers – but would first like to improve upon reading, writing, speaking, and listening in English. Our ESL program is flexible, offered in day- or evening- format, as well as personable – here, you will find small class sizes and the attention you deserve. Goodwin’s ESL classes have a diverse population, with students from many regions of the world – including Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe.

Interested in studying English-as-a-Second-Language at Goodwin College? Please call +1 (860) 528-4111 or visit us online to learn more about our ESL and degree programs for international students.