Frequently Asked Questions
How do I access the library databases?
When you are on campus, you will not need to log in to access the databases. Simple enter your search in the Single Search box on the library home page or select a database from the list of available databases by hovering over "Search", then selecting "Databases" in the grey navigation bar near the top of the page.
To access the library databases from home, you will need to log in using your SonisWeb ID and PIN. Click here for more detailed instructions.
How do I find books?
Use the library catalog to search for books. The catalog will tell you if an item is available and give you the call number of the book. The call number tells you where you can find the book on the shelf. If you cannot find the book, please contact a library staff member for assistance.
How do I get a library card?
Your Student ID card is your library card. The ID number and password that you use to log in to Sonis Web will also log you in to the library catalog to manage your account, as well as allow you access to research databases when off campus.
How long can I borrow items?
Loan periods are determined based on the item, but most items can be borrowed for these terms:
- Books: three weeks
- Audio/Visual: one week
- Periodicals: one week
- Some Course Reserves: 3 days
Most items may be renewed once for an additional loan period. Items kept beyond the loan period are considered overdue. Items kepts 30 days beyond the due date are considered lost. We do not charge overdue fines. However, patrons with overdue items will have their borrowing privileges restricted. Patrons with lost items on their records must replace the item or pay the replacement cost. Consult the library policy page for more information.
Do you have my textbook?
Probably not. We do not compete with the book store. Some instructors will make a copy of a textbook available for in library use as a course reserve. There are a few older editions of textbooks in the general collection, but these should not be considered a suitable replacement for the edition required in your syllabus.
How do I find an item that is on reserve?
Reserve items are materials that have been selected by faculty for students in specific courses. They are shelved behind the reference desk on the first floor of the library. Students may only use these items in the library. The only exception is when the instructor explicitly informs the library to allow checkouts.
Can I borrow a laptop?
Hoffman Family Library offers the opportunity for students, faculty, and staff to check out laptop computers for in library use only. Before checking out the laptops, please read and understand the library's policy and liability statement. Patrons must understand that they must pay all actual repair or actual replacements costs should any harm, damage or loss of any nature whatsoever (including, but not limited to theft) of the laptop assigned to them.
How do I reserve a study room?
The library has three group study rooms available for use by the Goodwin community. These rooms provide a place for students wishing to engage in collaborative and cooperative study in small groups. Each room is equipped with a white board. One room is available for viewing DVDs or videos. Study rooms may be reserved. Rooms are available for use on a first-come-first-serve basis by anyone in the library if no reservation is pending. Reserved rooms not occupied 10 minutes after reserved time will be considered forfeited. Rooms must be vacated at the end of the reserved time.
- All patrons using the study rooms must provide a photo ID to a library staff member at the circulation desk.
- Rooms may be reserved for a 2-hour block per day per group during library hours. If no other groups are scheduled, the reservation can be extended until a new group arrives.
- Reserve group study rooms are not intended for use by only one person. An individual using a reserve group study room may be required to vacate the room in favor of a group when asked to do so by the Library Staff. Carrels are available on the second floor for individual quiet study.
- Reservations can only be made by a student at the Circulation Desk for the same day use. No telephone or email reservations will be accepted.
- Any personal belongings left unattended will be removed and taken to the Circulation Desk to be claimed and the room must be made available to others.
- Patrons using the group study rooms are required to comply with our "Code of Conduct Policy"
Can you help me with citing sources?
Yes! Proper citation is an essential skill for all college students. If you are unfamiliar with the practices of standard citation styles, you can contact a librarian or library staff member for assistance. If you prefer, you can check out the citing and writing guides page for tons of helpful links.
How do I get my graduation passport checked at the library?
To receive clearance for graduation from the library, graduates must be in good standing with the library. This means having returned all borrowed items or, alternately, paying for all lost items. To check your library account, log in to the catalog or contact us and ask. We will be accepting returns and payments at the Graudation Expo.
Will you write my paper for me?
Of course not. We will point you in the right direction for finding resources and creating citations, but we cannot help you write your entire paper. The tutors at the Academic Success Center can help you with structuring and proofreading your work, but ultimately you have to do your own work.
Can I use the printer?
Yes. Library printers are free for students to use. We do not impose a page limit, but as a measure to conserve resources, we ask that you print two-sided and keep PowerPoints (or presentation slides in other file formats such as PDF) to no fewer than six slides per page. Printing whole books is a violation of copyright law and as such is not allowed.
How do I print single or double sided?
We ask that students print on both sides of the paper for all documents except for the final version of a paper that will be submitted to an instructor. To choose one- or two-sided printing:
- Click the File tab.
- Click Print.
- Under Settings, click Print One Sided. If Print on Both Sides is available, your printer is set up for duplex printing.
- Select Print on Both Sides for two-sided printing, or Print One Sided for single side printing.
How do I switch the page orientation?
Portrait orientation is when the page is taller than it is wide. Landspace orientation is when the page is wider than it is tall.
In Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.): under Settings in the print menu, click Portrait Orientation and select Landscape Orientation.
In other programs, including web browsers: open the print dialog box by selecting File, then Print or pressing Ctrl+P. Click Preferences or Properties and choose your preferred orientation.
How do I print a specific range of slides or pages?
In the print dialog, find the section that says Page Range,Print All Pages, or Print All Slides. Enter a single page or a single page rang. For example, 5-12.
How do I select the right printer?
The library printers have some complicated-looking names. Any printer with STPRT (short for "student printer") in the name should work fine. The available printer choices in the library as of this writing are:
- First Floor Computers
- ST211PRTLIB01 on STPRT100 - the grey printer on the first floor
- STPRT-Lib1 - the black printers on the first floor
- STPRT-Lib1st1 on STPRT100 - the black printers on the first floor
- Second Floor Computers
- PRT-Lib2ND on STPRT100 - the second floor printers
- stprt-lib1st1 - the black printers on the first floor
How do I print a PDF file from the internet?
PDF files linked to from research databases and Blackboard usually open in a new web browser window or tab. The easiest way to print these files is to use the PDF viewer's print function. To do this, you have two choices:
- Press Crtl+P to bring up the print dialog.
- Move the mouse out of the window, then back in again. Click the printer icon in the toolbar that appears.
How do I print a page from Blackboard?
Lesson and discussion pages on Blackboard are housed within frames. This makes printing them a little trick. The best way to print these pages from Blackboard is to open the page in a new tab. To do this:
- Go back one page using the browser's Back button.
- Find the link to the page you want to print. Right click on it.
- Select Open link in new tab from the menu the pops up.
- When the page loads in the new tab you should be able to print it using the normal procedure.
How do I correctly print a two sided tri-fold brochure?
In Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.): under Settings in the print menu, click the box that says Print One Sided and select Print on Both Sides: flip pages on short edge.
Can I use the copier?
Yes. Copies cost ten cents per side. Load coins or $1 bills into the machine to the left of the copier. You can get change for larger bills at the bookstore or the cafe.
How do I insert a header?
- Click Insert and then click Header.
- Choose Blank Three Columns.
- Replace the placeholder text.
How do I insert automatic page numbers?
Click Insert and then click Page Number.
How do I double space a paper?
On the Home tab, click the Line and Paragraph Spacing button.
How do I print PowerPoints in the required 6 slides per page format?
- Open the print menu by clicking File, then Print.
- Select the second box under the word Settings.
- Choose 6 Slides Horizontal.
Who is exempt from the six slides per page policy?
Students who require special accommodations should contact Goodwin's Office of AccessAbility Services to make arrangements. Accommodations are provided only after disclosure and documentation procedures are complete. A student who needs larger print due to a disability make be asked to present their accommodation letter, which they can get from the AccessAbility office.
How do I insert pictures?
Click Insert and then click Pictures. Navigate to the folder where you saved the picture that you want to insert.
How do I insert MP3 files?
Click Insert and then click Audio. Click Audio on my PC. Navigate to the folder where you saved the audio file that you want to insert.
How do I embed YouTube videos?
- Select the Insert tab to open that ribbon.
- Click Video – it’s all the way to the right in the “Media” category
- Select Online video… from the drop down menu
- A window opens where you can either search YouTube directly or paste an embed code.
- I recommend finding the video from the web site in your browser. Here’s how you get the correct embed code:
- When you have the video that you want in your browser, select Share from the options below the video.
- Select Embed
- Select Show More
- Check the box next to Use old embed code
- Copy the embed code. It starts with
- Paste the embed code in the From a Video Embed Code option and click the arrow
How do I save a file to a flash drive?
With your flash drive is firmly plugged in to the usb port, click File,Save As, and Browse.. You will be find your drive under Computer in the left column of the save dialog box. Often it will have been assigned to drive letter E or F.
How do I email a file as an attachment?
In your email client, start a new message. Click the attachment button: in most clients it looks like a paper clip. Select the file you wish to attach.