Associate in Nursing
These admission requirements are in effect for students applying to the nursing program for the January 2011 cohort and later.
Only students admitted to the program may enroll in nursing courses. It is important to note that not all qualified candidates can be offered admission to the nursing program due to the limited number of places available. Prospective nursing applicants are strongly advised to attend a Health Science Information Session conducted by the college. Please call the Admissions Department for dates and times of upcoming sessions. Students may enter the College at any time to complete the prerequisites required for admission.
Admission is based upon completion of nursing prerequisites and other requirements. All requirements must be completed before enrolling in Nursing 100. Final selection is based on a Selection Point System as presented at the end of this section. Students may apply to the nursing program as many times as they wish. Any submitted applications that do not meet the minimum required GPA and the required score on the National League for Nursing (NLN) examination being utilized as the pre-admission exam will not be counted as an application.
- Complete the application for admission into Goodwin College. Applicants to the nursing program must first meet the requirements for admission and be accepted into Goodwin College.
- Complete the Nursing Program Application.
- Take the NLN Exam being used for pre-admission. This examination is administered at Goodwin College three times a year, (January, May and September) The cost of the Exam is the responsibility of the applicant. Students may only register for the Exam when they are submitting an application or reactivating an application that is already on file. It is the students responsibility to follow the deadlines and instructions posted on the application. All questions regarding Exam registration must be directed to the Nursing Department or refer to Goodwin College web site [www.goodwin.edu] for Exam dates and deadlines. Students may take The Pre-Entrance Examination as many times as they wish .
Students must score at 50 percent or higher on this exam to be considered for admission.
- Earn a minimum GPA of 2.7 in the most recent course work (college). College GPA is based on a minimum of 12 completed credits at Goodwin College.
- Complete the required College Placement Evaluations. Applicants must qualify for ENG 101 in order to enter the nursing program. Any remedial courses required as indicated by the placement evaluation results must be completed before entering the nursing program.
- Complete the following prerequisite courses with a minimum grade of "C":
- MATH 125 (Goodwin College) or higher or score into a college level math on the college placement test.
- Chemistry - CHEM 101 (Goodwin College) or equivalent.
- Complete the following prerequisite courses with a minimum grade of "C+" or better:
- Biology - BIO 211, Anatomy & Physiology I, (Goodwin College) or equivalent completed within the last five years.
- BIO 212 Anatomy & Physiology II (Goodwin College) or equivalent completed within the last five years.
- BIO 120 or BIO 121 (Goodwin College) or equivalent with a laboratory component is the prerequisite for BIO 211. (Note: Applicants meeting all other requirements can be admitted conditionally without completing BIO 212. However, this course must be successfully completed prior to starting the nursing program)
Any pre-requisite courses transferred from another college must be equivalent to Goodwin College courses and must meet the grade requirement of C+ as previously stated.
Applicants are strongly advised to complete Microbiology (must be completed with a C+ or better) prior to entering the Nursing program. If a student takes NUR 100 and Microbiology together and then decides to withdraw from NUR 100 they will need to reapply to the nursing program. Microbiology must be completed by the end of NUR 110 in order for students to advance to NUR 200.
Applicants will be notified of acceptance approximately two (2) months prior to the start of the semester.
Nursing applicants who have satisfied all of the admission criteria will be selected according to the point system as specified below:
|Previous College Education||Score|
|Associate Degree (60 Credits)||2|
Completion of Nursing Curriculum Requirements
at Goodwin College or courses relevant to Nursing
or transferable for a BSN
Cumulative GPA (applicable for Goodwin College
courses only, based on a minimum of 12 credits)
|2.7 - 3.0||1|
|3.1 - 3.4||2|
|3.5 - 3.8||3|
|3.9 - 4.0||4|
Composite Score on NLN Pre-Admission Test
(Must have a composite score of >50% to qualify)
|50 - 55%||1|
|56 - 59%||2|
|60 - 65%||3|
|66 - 70%||4|
|71 - 75%||5|
|76 - 80%||6|
|81 - 85%||7|
|86 - 90%||8|
|91 - 95%||9|
|96 - 99%||10|
Total possible points:
Once accepted, students are required to submit a $500 non-refundable tuition deposit to hold their place in the class. Students must obtain their own Mal-practice Insurance and also become members of the National Student Nurse Association (NSNA).
Admitted students must submit a medical examination report by a physician which describes the student's physical and emotional health, two weeks prior to starting the program. All required immunizations must be completed before the start of the first Nursing course excluding the Hepatitis B vaccine series which may be in progress. If a student elects to not have the Hepatitis B vaccine series, a signed declination form must be in their file.
Students are required to become certified in Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (Health Provider or Professional Rescuer) by the American Heart Association or the Red Cross before entering the Nursing program and must maintain certification throughout the nursing program. The cost related to obtaining and maintaining CPR certification is the responsibility of the student. Proof of certification must be submitted annually.
Last Modified: 12/3/2013Scroll