Leave of Absence

At Goodwin College, there are two types of leaves of absence that students may request. Both represent a temporary interruption in a student's program of study.

An Official leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) can only be granted by the Registrar's Office and are subject to strict conditions for approval. Student requests must be in writing and need to be supported with documentation. An Official Leave can only be granted for the following reasons:

  1. Serious health condition of student
  2. Jury duty;
  3. Military duty;
  4. Birth of a child;
  5. Placement of a child with student for adoption or foster care;
  6. Need to care for an immediate family member due to serious health condition or day care issue.

By federal regulations, official leaves of absence cannot exceed 180 days in a twelve-month period. Official leaves that have been approved by the Registrar's Office must also be signed by a Financial Aid Officer. The entire Leave of Absence Policy, including all conditions for approval, may be obtained from the Registrar's Office. Students who fail to return from an official leave will be placed on unofficial leave by the Registrar's Office as of the date the LOA began. The Official Leave then becomes null and void and students will resume responsibility for any tuition charges incurred during the official leave period following a return to Title IV calculation. In rare cases, students may be eligible for an extension as long as the extension does not create an absence of more than 180 days. Students who wish to apply for an extension should contact the Registrar's Office.

Students may be granted an unofficial leave of absence if they do not meet the conditions for an official leave of absence as outlined above. Students may not request an unofficial leave after the two week drop period at the beginning of each semester. Students who are granted unofficial leaves of absence will be refunded 50% tuition if they have an active registration in the student database at the time of the request. Unofficial leaves may be up to two semesters long. Students who do not register for three consecutive semesters will be administratively withdrawn from the college by the Registrar's Office and will need to apply for readmission if they wish to return. Please note: students requesting an unofficial leave of absence should see the Financial Aid office to review any possible changes to their financial aid status..