Academic Advising and Counseling Center
Advising and counseling contribute to the success of each student. Therefore, the Academic Advising and Counseling Center exists to help students achieve their academic and career goals by fostering partnerships between students and faculty, and by providing them with accurate information regarding registration, academic planning, and school policies. The Center serves as an information resource and referral center for all Goodwin College students throughout their college experience. For the office hours please call the center's main number: 860-913-2017.
The staff assists students with:
- Academic Advising - to provide assistance on academic matters such as designing an academic degree plan and strategies for academic success.
- Career Services - to explore career interests, values and goals to accommodate course selection and educational program planning.
- Counseling Services - designed to counsel students in such areas as stress management, depression, anxiety, domestic violence, peer problems, and substance abuse as they relate to college life and the academic climate.
Academic advisement plays a critical role in fulfilling the mission of Goodwin College. The advisement process fosters a continuous advisor/student relationship that begins with the admissions interview and continues throughout the time a student is at Goodwin College. Placement evaluations and school records help to build student profiles that are used to assist students with the process of course selection and degree planning.
During the admissions process, all students are given the opportunity to meet with an Academic Advisor to begin designing a plan of study. All students are encouraged to continue meeting with their Academic Advisor throughout their college career. Students planning to transfer credit from an accredited institution or who wish to be considered for an award of credit for experiential learning should also meet with an Academic Advisor before registration to discuss options. In addition, students planning to continue their education should meet with an Academic Advisor to discuss transfer requirements, admission requirements and course planning. Advisors are available to:
- Register new and current students for courses;
- Advise students on course selection;
- Develop plans of study for selective admission programs;
- Add, drop and withdraw students from classes;
- Answer academic questions regarding courses and plans of study;
- Counsel students if they are having academic difficulties; and
- Serve as a support system for enrolled students.
To learn more, visit our website at: www.goodwin.edu/academic_advising.asp.
Career counselors at Goodwin College help students develop professionally as they continue on their journey toward their chosen career. The Mission of Career Services is to support and empower Goodwin College students in developing, evaluating and effectively implementing their career plans. To fulfill this mission, Career Services provides opportunities for students to become the best possible career-ready candidate that they can be.
Career development is a life-long process. Students are encouraged to develop a relationship with a career counselor early in their academic career. Our counselors assist students with every stage of the career planning process. We offer a variety of information and resources to help students achieve their career goals including:
- Individualized career counseling;
- Interest inventories and assessments to help relate their strengths to career objectives;
- Career workshops (resume and cover letters, interviewing practice, job-search skills);
- Information on internship opportunities;
- Job listings for off-campus employment;
- Recruitment activities including on-campus interviews; and
- Additional career planning and research resources.
Although every effort is made to assist graduates in securing employment, no guarantee or representation of placement is made or implied. More information about these resources can be found on the Career Services website at http://www.goodwin.edu/career_services.asp or call 860-727-6768.
The Mission of Counseling Services is to provide students with opportunities for personal, emotional, and academic development and to help guide students towards successful completion of their college education. Additionally, in accordance with Goodwin College's mission, Counseling Services seeks to foster life-long learning and to promote civic responsibility. Our counselors will:
- Provide a safe and nurturing environment where students can identify and align their personal goals with their academic goals;
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to help students develop self-knowledge, strategies, and coping skills necessary to succeed personally, academically, and professionally; and
- Provide individual counseling for any issue including, but not limited to bereavement support, emotional difficulties, and domestic violence in the home.
Students who take advantage of these services will enjoy a one-on-one relationship with a counselor. Counselors also offer small group sessions and workshops on a variety of issues.
Referrals to the Counseling Center can be made by faculty, staff or self-referral. Every referral remains confidential. More information about these resources can be found on the Counseling Services website at http://www.goodwin.edu/counseling_services.asp or call 860-727-6716.